Friday, January 20, 2006

On torture

Matt at Left in the West is saying that I am certifiably insane for saying that the NYT is guilty of the grossest form of treason. I still think that I am right, but then he goes into a tirade about Bush and the use of torture.
Maybe it's just me, but everytime I hear that we are being accused of torture, I am reminded of the Monty Python sketch about the use of torture during the Spanish Inquisition. Okay, Mr. Terrorist, tell us what you know, or we will poke you with the cushions, and if that doesn't work, we will use the Comfy Chair. (Followed by diabolical laughter).
Life imitates Monty Python. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

2 comments:

big mike said...

I guess it's funny until it happens to your son or younger brother.

Steve said...

Yeah, I would be really worried if my son or younger brother was attacked by some maniac with a pillow or comfy chair too.
But what are the real examples of torture? I have heard about humiliation, but not about pulling fingernails or breaking bones yet.
That is to say except for those who have been prosecuted. Since they were prosecuted, it makes it seem like it was less of a sanctioned policy than some would make it out to be.