Friday, December 16, 2005

On the Iraqi Election and what it means for US

I have deliberately refrained from commenting on the election in Iraq just to see what everyone else is saying. Predictably, those on the right are ecstatic, and those on the left remain silent.
To me, the most significant thing about this election is that the genie is finally completely out of the bottle. Too many racists in this country have said that the Arabs are unable to understand or appreciate democracy. We started out in January with 7 million people who stood up and said that "Today, I will control my future, not some despot." Now they have been joined by even more, and 11 million people are taking control of their future. How can this be anything but a victory for the human condition?
I realize that Howard Dean believes that it is impossible to win there, but I have to wonder if that isn't just wishful thinking on his part. After all, if the experiment fails, then Bush fails. Conversely, if it succeeds, then Bush will be the greatest political leader since Churchill. Hard to overcome that legacy, although the British Labor did oust Churchill after he won the war, so maybe there is some hope for the Democrats even if Bush does succeed.
My limited experience in the Middle East showed me that the Arabs as a whole were very cognizant of pride, sometimes it seemed to me to be unduly so. But imagine a year from now, when the Iraqis are making their Hadj to Mecca and start to sneer at all of the subjects of other despotic regimes. You don't think that isn't going to start some revolutions? Viva La Revolucion! Inshallah

2 comments:

The Viceroy's Fuguestate said...

"I realize that Howard Dean believes that it is impossible to win there, but I have to wonder if that isn't just wishful thinking on his part. After all, if the experiment fails, then Bush fails."

That pretty much says it right there.

saraeanderson said...

Howard Dean ran on the assumption Bush has failed. He (like me) just doesn't want Bush to take the rest of the country down with him.